Is the N95 Mask an adequate protection against Haze?
4 important points of the N95 mask
- the mask must fit the wearer face
- wearer must breathe in through the filter (instead of from the sides when the mask is not a good fit)
- N95 is 95% efficient in filtering fine particles between the size of 0.1 to 0.3 microns (Haze contains that are 2.5 microns or smaller PM2.5)
- N95 can help you reduce exposure to PM2.5 but not fully eliminate the exposure
When do you need to wear a N95 mask?
- Air quality is in hazardous range (PSI>300)
- Outdoor for several hours
- Not necessary if commuting from home to school/work
- Not necessary if indoor (windows & doors closed)
- Consult doctor before wearing N95 for elderly, pregnant, or anyone with heart/lung problem